5 Things to Know This Week: No School, Jade Billows Replacement, Body Found In River
Check out our calendar for the week's events.
Good morning, Potomac! It’s Monday morning and time to get your week started with these “5 Things.” Among our offerings: weather, a recap of what to expect today and some notices for the week ahead.
1. After near-perfect weather last week, this week will likely have several rainy days. Highs will reach the low 80s, with lows in the 50s. Today will be partly cloudy with a high of 81, according to the National Weather Service. There is a chance of rain starting after 3 p.m., with tonight’s lows dropping to 66.
2. Montgomery County public school students and teachers will have the day off today in recognition of Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year.
3. Community mourning over the closure of Jade Billows in the Cabin John Shopping Center may end soon. A new Chinese restaurant is coming to town, and may open by the end of the month. Read more here. Other new businesses in the shopping center include Leila’s, a fine gifts and jewelry store, and Benny’s Bar & Grill, which starts construction soon.
4. Last week’s announcement of the new Apple iPhone 5 sent the tech world aflutter. Looking to buy the latest gadget? We have a list of where to find it near Potomac.
5. Odd news from last week and the weekend: An earthquake centered just outside of Westminster hit Maryland at about 5:50 a.m. Saturday, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. Police were investigating the death of a man whose body was found in the Potomac River Friday afternoon. For some more weird state news, check out our rundown here.