5 Things You Need to Know Today: Jan. 25
You need to know these things today in Potomac.
Rise and shine, Potomac! Here are the five things you need to know today about weather, local schools and sports.
1. Although it looks like the weather won’t be too bad during the day, rain and snow are expected to hit Potomac late this evening. The National Weather Service is predicting today will have a high of 46 degrees — a welcome warmer day — but tonight’s low will be 31 degrees with a 40 percent chance of precipitation.
2. It’s time for a fresh start with new grades in the grade book. Local students are finally done with midterm exams and will kick off the second semester of the school year today. Good luck, kids and be sure to study hard!
3. The Bulldogs are on a roll! Churchill's boys varsity basketball team clinched their tenth straight win against Northwest last night, 70-48. The boys overall record for the season is 12-2 and 7-0 in the 4AWest division.
4. Are you a new Potomac Patch reader and curious about what we do here on the site? If you want to meet the esteemed, fabulous and, of course, modest editor of Potomac Patch, I’ll be hanging out at the Starbucks in Potomac Village this afternoon doing some work. Feel free to stop by and ask me about Patch, give me a news tip or just hang out.
5. For those of you who plan got watch President Barack Obama’s State of the Union speech tonight at 9 p.m., why not have a little fun with it, too? That is, if you are 21-year-old or older. There’s a drinking game that corresponds with his speech where the participants take a drink or shot for certain words Obama is more than likely to say. According to the game, each time Obama says words or phrases like, “change,” “let me be clear,” “wasteful spending,” or “reform,” you’ll be taking a drink. My favorite might be that every time he says “Tea Party” the game calls the participants to take a drink from a teacup.