Apartment Fire Near Potomac Displaces One
Fire and rescue spokeswoman: Building evacuated due to kitchen fire Sunday afternoon.
A kitchen fire displaced the resident of a North Bethesda apartment Sunday afternoon, a Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said.
Firefighters responded just after 4 p.m. for a report of a kitchen fire in an apartment in the 10200 block of Grosvenor Place, Beth Anne Nesselt, a fire and rescue service spokeswoman, wrote in an email. The first units located and extinguished the fire in the second-floor apartment kitchen. Other units helped residents to evacuate the building and cleared smoke, Nesselt wrote.
No one was injured.
Fire investigators ruled the fire “accidental [due to] combustibles placed too close to a heat source in the kitchen,” Nesselt wrote.
The fire resulted in $40,000 in damages, including $30,000 to the structure and $10,000 to contents of the apartment, she wrote.
“Several smoke alarms were present and activated in the apartment,” she wrote.
Fire officials are reminding county residents that Daylight Savings Time begins at 2 a.m. on Sunday.
“MCFRS will be pitching our ‘Change Your Clocks/Check Your Smoke Alarm’ campaign through the weekend, so it’s a good time to remind folks of this important safety habit,” Nesselt wrote.