Don’t leave your home unprotected this summer.
Now that school is out, families are packing up for vacations – leaving homes without residents to keep watch. The Montgomery County 1st District police have released several home safety tips to help you protect your property while you're on vacation.
Here are some of the 1st district safety tips.
Make sure you don’t leave home without:
- Stopping mail and newspaper deliveries.
- Placing timers on a radio and several lights.
- Arranging to have the grass mowed.
- Asking a neighbor to park in your driveway.
- Locking all doors, windows and vehicles.
- Activating the alarm, if you have one.
- Making sure expensive items are out of view.
While on the road, residents may also protect themselves by doing the following:
- Check maps or program your GPS before you leave.
- Use well-lit, well-traveled areas whenever possible.
- Always lock your car when you get out.
- Keep valuable out of sight.
- Don't leave maps or guidebooks on the seat or dashboard.
- Don't carry or flash large amounts of cash.
- Do your best to blend in with the crowd.