By Katie Griffith and Sarah Beth Hensley
The is Saturday and many residents will flock to to grab a carton or two of this fabulous fruit.
While the festival has opportunities to shop, play games and bid in a silent auction, it is also a place to buy loads of strawberries. Popping those berries right into your mouth is a great option, but there’s a lot more you can do to enjoy them. Here we’ve complied a few facts about this beloved berry and ideas for strawberry tricks to try in your kitchen.
1. It’s National Strawberry Month, and crops are about two weeks ahead of schedule this year due to the warm winter and early spring, according to Maryland Agriculture Secretary Buddy Hance. Buy those delicious berries while they’re still in season this weekend at the festival or during the Potomac Village Farmers Market.
2. Munch on them for your health: More than half of 7- to 9-year-olds picked strawberries as their favorite fruit, according to the University of Illinois Extension service, and just eight berries will provide 140 percent of the recommended daily intake of Vitamin C for kids.
3. Make a smoothie: Use strawberries to add a little extra flavor to your smoothie. Try a recipe from smoothie-recipe.com with different options to make your smoothie slushy, thick or without dairy or sugar. Make it your own!
4. Make brunch a summertime treat: Make summer-time pancakes with strawberries mixed in using this Rachel Ray recipe. With the strawberries mixed in, be sure to add a little syrup on top for a delicious breakfast.
5. Drink it down: It’s five o’clock somewhere, so grab a strawberry margarita to start the weekend off right. A good option is this recipe from foodnetwork.com for a beverage that takes two minutes to make.
Have your own strawberry traditions? Share your recipes and ideas with your Patch neighbors!