Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day takes place Monday, Jan. 16 and Montgomery County is encouraging residents to take advantage of the federal holiday and volunteer their time and services to benefiting the community.
The Bethesda North Marriott Hotel and Conference Center will host the county’s main celebration this year on Monday from 1 to 3 p.m., with projects such as decorating cards for veterans, assembling sandwiches with Whole Foods for local shelters, constructing fleece blankets for Montgomery Hospice and packing Snow Day boxes for Meals on Wheels.
Following the events at Marriott, an MLK Tribute concert will be held at the Music Center at Strathmore at 4 p.m. A select number of tickets for the free show will be available from 3 to 3:45 p.m.
For a listing of volunteer opportunities around the county, check out the Montgomery County Volunteer Center website.
In observance of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, the following will be closed Monday:
- Montgomery County Public Schools.
- State offices & courts.
- County offices and libraries.
- County liquor stores.
- No refuse or recycling collection. Collection will be provided one day later for remainder of week (last collection day is Saturday).
- The Shady Grove Transfer Station will be closed.
Transportation will be affected as follows:
- Ride On will operate using a special modified holiday schedule.
- Metrobus will operate using the Saturday supplemental schedule found here.
- Metrorail will operate 5 a.m. to midnight.
- Public parking will be free on Monday.