Montgomery County offers many summer camp programs; it is often a challenge to narrow the choices. A good start to determining the best options is to select programs that will be interesting and stimulating for your child and that work for the whole family.
The following checklist can be useful when determining the summer camps that best fit your family’s needs.
Determining your child’s preferences for summer programs
- Loves outdoors or indoors
- Thrives in small group or large groups
- Likes structured activities or prefers unstructured free-play
- Prefers active sports or less physical
- Outgoing and enjoys the spot-light or quieter, more reserved
- Has multiple interest or focused interest
Hint: Sports, Creative Arts, History, Computers, Science, Math, Science or Traditional Camps and Summer Fun Centers are a just a few of the options that will suit the all-embracing interest and needs of campers.
Does it fit the family schedule?
Morning and afternoon rush hours can cause havoc when traveling in Montgomery County. It is important to have drop-off and pick-up locations that are conveniently on your way in the morning and afternoon.
- Work Schedules
- Siblings Schedule
- Carpooling Schedule
Hint: Montgomery County Recreation has multiple locations throughout the County. Extended Hours can be a lifesaver for families with scheduling challenges. Extended hours offer supervised play activities before and after the camp hours.
Does the program fit the family budget?
- Consider the number of children you will be sending to camp
- Determine a budget for the entire summer
- When looking at costs, it is often helpful to weigh the benefits of a more expensive program. The quality of a program is not determined by the cost of the program, but rather by the staff training, staff to participant ratios and adherence to guidelines and safety standards.
Hint: Summer Fun Centers are a great option for budget-minded families. The $350 registration fee covers six-week of summer programming. Summer Fun Centers, located throughout Montgomery County are definitely the best deal in town.