PHOTOS: Fire at Marlo Furniture Closes Rockville Pike

A two-alarm fire on the roof of the furniture store closed Rockville Pike into Town Center at the height of Wednesday evening's rush hour.


A two-alarm fire Wednesday night at the at 725 Rockville Pike did significant damage to the store's roof and snarled traffic in Rockville Town Center at the height of the evening rush. Two firefighters were injured.

The call for the fire came in at 6:15 p.m. County and Rockville City police closed Rockville Pike at Wootton Parkway, rerouting traffic around the northbound route into the city's downtown.

An NBC4 helicopter captured video of the rooftop blaze.

Two firefighters suffered heat-related non-life threatening injuries while putting out the blaze, said Assistant Chief Scott Graham of the county fire and rescue service. The store was evacuated, Graham said. No civilians were hurt.

Firefighters extinguished the fire, which was at the back of the store, within about an hour of the call, Graham said. Firefighters fought the fire from both inside and on the rooftop of the “big box” warehouse-style building, he said.

Flames could be seen in the ceiling of the second floor and on the roof, Graham said.

Fire investigators were beginning their investigation about 7:15 p.m. Wednesday and had yet to determine an official cause of the fire.

“It looks like it started on the interior and came out,” Graham said.

About 85 firefighters responded, including units from Silver Spring, Cabin John, Kensington and Rockville.

Around 7:30 p.m. neighbors and passersby watched from the sidewalk along a nearly empty Rockville Pike and in the parking lot of nearby . Firefighters on the roof peeled back the metal façade and a two-and-a-half to three-foot high parapet.

indianfurniturehouse143 August 07, 2012 at 12:03 PM
I’m really enjoying the theme/design of your website. Do you ever run into any web browser compatibility issues? A number of my blog visitors have complained about my blog not working properly in Explorer but looks great in Firefox. Do you have any advice to help fix this problem? Regards: please visit our site http://www.indianfurniturehouse.co.uk/
allsportprotection143 August 10, 2012 at 11:39 AM
We are a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your web site offered us with valuable info to work on. You have done a formidable job and our entire community will be grateful to you. I have read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you some interesting things or advice. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I want to read more things about it! http://www.allsportprotection.com/Ski_Helmets_s/290.htm
shawntheweaver November 06, 2012 at 09:28 AM
Fire could definitely spread fast if it occurs in a furniture store. This is because most furnishings have parts that are made of wood which is a very good conductor of fire. Thus, when a small fire starts, it could easily spread like wildfire to the rest of the building when all the wooden furniture gets ignited as well one by one. And in this case, Marlo has a warehouse-like concept which makes fire spread even easier as all the furniture are being stored closely together. Hope the two injured firefighters will recover soon. - http://www.brandenberryamishfurniture.com/blog
shawntheweaver November 07, 2012 at 03:17 AM
I could understand the great impact of the Marlo fire until the extent of having to close the entire Rockville Pike. This is because fires that occur in furniture shops are often major because of the content of the shops. Most furniture and their parts are wooden which conducts heat and thus igniting fire easily once sparked. It is a good thing though that civilians were evacuated in time and noone was hurt. As for the two firefighters who risked their lives and did a great job, wishing them a speedy recovery. - http://www.brandenberryamishfurniture.com/blog
shawntheweaver November 07, 2012 at 03:30 AM
The report states that the fire started from the interior and spreaded to the outside. I think the employees could have been more vigilant and acted quickly if they were to spot any form of ignition or spark before such mishaps could occur again. A small fire is much easier to extinguish as compared to a huge wildfire, especially in a furniture shop where wood is the main product. And customers should also be cooperative so as to report to the management quickly should they witness anything amiss. - http://www.brandenberryamishfurniture.com/blog


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »