It's Labor Day Weekend and you may want to use a last summer weekend to take advantage of one of Washington, DC's finest (and free) attractions—the Smithsonian Institution’s National Zoo.
Visiting the orangutans, tigers, elephants and other members of the animal kingdom at the National Zoo is a perfect end-of-summer activity for the whole family—and did we mention it’s free?
One of the big attractions at the zoo is catching its residents in their environments and eavesdropping on their lives. Sometimes animals do the strangest things!
This week's photo showcases the Smithsonian’s National Zoo American Trail, which highlights animals from North America like this river otter. The trail was recently renovated and will reopen on Sept. 1. Other animals visitors may see along the trail are California sea lions—including the pup born in June 2011—gray seals, bald eagles, gray wolves, ravens, beavers, river otters, brown pelicans and merganser ducks.
So can you come up with a caption for what this little guy is doing in the photo?
We'll post one caption for a new photo each week, and the person with the most creative caption will win a Patch “swag kit”—complete with a tote bag, metal water bottle, magnet and pen.
Patch local editors will pick the winners. We’re a tough crowd...so make us laugh!
and tell us if you agree with our choice!
Don't forget to hit the "keep me posted" button below to stay updated on the caption contest! Keep up with all your local news with our newsletter—if you have a Patch account, click on your name, then on "newsletter" at the top right to sign up.
The fine print:
- Open to legal residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia who are 18 and older.
- To enter, write a caption and post as a comment.
- All entries must be received by Thursday of the next week at midnight Eastern time.
- You may enter up to five captions.
- Winners are selected at the discretion of Patch editors.
- A single weekly winner will win a Patch tote bag, water bottle, pen and magnet with a retail value of approximately $15. We may even throw in a t-shirt.
- See official rules attached as a PDF.