Thursday, May 16, 2013
Tuesday's Metrorail fire caused commuters to sound off on Twitter.
Metro troubles reared their ugly head again on Tuesday as a track fire on the Red Line in Silver Spring caused significant delays during evening rush hour. Commuters took to Twitter to share their woes. @MROBart of Washington, DC was happy to have Twitter as a communication channel: "thank u #twitterverse for keeping us folks on the redline informed about the #silver spring FIRE when @wmata has failed to do so!" @wisemetis of Silver Spring had her evening plans impacted: "Red line train on fire at Silver Spring. Guesd I'm missing knit night tonight." @jonathanbtucker of DC might have come up with a new pick-up line: ""Baby, you look like the Red Line.... on fire!" -- no really tho, there's a fire on the DC metro Red Line near Silver Spring…
Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Metro suspended rail service between Takoma and Forest Glen stations Tuesday evening.
Update Service is back to normal at the Silver Spring Metro station, Metro announced via Twitter at 10:40 p.m. Tuesday. Original post A fire on the tracks that sent billowing smoke over downtown Silver Spring forced the evacuation of the Silver Spring Metro station at the peak of Tuesday evening’s rush hour. No one was injured as firefighters brought the fire under a Red Line train under control quickly, said Assistant Chief Scott Graham, a spokesman for the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service. NBC4 video from the scene showed thick white smoke after the fire was extinguished. The fire was in electrical insulation and connectors on the tracks, Graham said. Red Line service was suspended between the Takoma and Forest Glen stations, …
Monday, April 22, 2013
MCFRS Chief Richard Bowers explains when to use each emergency number.
Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service Chief Richard Bowers used the Chief's Blog to communicate the situations that warrant a 911 call. Bowers outlined six situations when residents should call 911: These tips are being shared as part of National 9-1-1 Education Month.
Thursday, March 28, 2013
Power has been restored at the Bethesda Hyatt Regency.
The Bethesda Hyatt Regency hotel has re-opened following a Monday fire that forced the evacuation of more than 400 and left an electrical contractor critically injured. Power has been restored and the hotel once again is accepting guests, Maria Bardos McGuire, hotel director of sales and marketing, announced in an email on Monday afternoon. The blaze began sometime before 12:45 a.m. in the basement of the hotel as electrical repair work was underway, McGuire told Patch. An electrical contractor who was critically injured is in recovery. The fire didn't extend to the lobby or guest rooms, McGuire said. The extent of the damage remains under investigation. Guests were evacuated at first to Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School and then placed in …
Monday, March 25, 2013
Hundreds were evacuated and an electrical contractor was critically injured after a fire in the basement of the Hyatt Monday morning.
Update, 11:25 a.m.: The Hyatt Bethesda has released a statement following a fire that forced hundreds to evacuate this morning. The safety of our guests and associates is a top priority. We can confirm that everyone is accounted for following an electrical fire early in the hotel’s basement this morning during a scheduled power outage. The hotel’s evacuation plan was enacted immediately. While no guests or associates were hurt, an electrical contractor was taken to the hospital with injuries. After an initial assessment by the local Red Cross at a nearby high school, all guests have been relocated to other area hotels. The hotel is currently working with the Bethesda Fire Department to assess any short-term impact on operations. Guests are…
Monday, March 4, 2013
Fire and rescue spokeswoman: Building evacuated due to kitchen fire Sunday afternoon.
A kitchen fire displaced the resident of a North Bethesda apartment Sunday afternoon, a Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said. Firefighters responded just after 4 p.m. for a report of a kitchen fire in an apartment in the 10200 block of Grosvenor Place, Beth Anne Nesselt, a fire and rescue service spokeswoman, wrote in an email. The first units located and extinguished the fire in the second-floor apartment kitchen. Other units helped residents to evacuate the building and cleared smoke, Nesselt wrote. No one was injured. Fire investigators ruled the fire “accidental [due to] combustibles placed too close to a heat source in the kitchen,” Nesselt wrote. The fire resulted in $40,000 in damages, including $30,000 to the…
Wednesday, February 27, 2013
A quick-thinking neighbor spotted the fire while walking her dog.
A Monday afternoon fire caused more than $600,000 in damages to a Potomac home in the 12400 block of Willow Green Court. Firefighters were sent to the scene of the fire shortly after 4 p.m. on Monday. The firefighters first to arrive "described heavy fire and smoke conditions and requested additional resources," Fire Chief Richard Bowers wrote in his Chief's Blog for the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service. "Two teenagers were home at the time of the fire and were able to safely escape after an alert neighbor walking her dog smelled smoke and went to investigate to locate the source. The neighbor saw flames to the rear of a home and quickly called 9-1-1, secured her dog to a nearby mailbox and ran to the home and began to pound on …
Tuesday, February 12, 2013
Graduate student Dayvon Maurice Green took his life after firing on his roommates, killing one.
Editor's note: Early Tuesday morning, two University of Maryland students were left dead and another injured in a shooting on 36th Ave. in College Park. Police say that the gunman, identified as 23-year-old graduate student Dayvon Maurice Green, set several fires around his house before shooting two of his roommates when they came outside. One—Stephen Alex Rane, 22, of Silver Spring—was later pronounced dead, while another suffered non-life-threatening injuries. Green then turned the gun on himself, according to police. News of the incident sent shockwaves around College Park and the UMD community. Find continuous coverage of this story below, or follow the latest from College Park Patch on Twitter and Facebook. Update, 8:21 p.m.: UMD …
Friday, February 1, 2013
An oil-filled space heater may have caused a Bethesda house fire early Thursday.
Firefighters rescued a 90-year-old woman from a Bethesda house fire early Thursday, according to a Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service statement. The woman remains hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries. The fire also displaced three other adult residents. A smoke alarm alerted a family to the fire that started around 5:30 a.m. in their home in the 7700 block of Glenmore Springs Way. Firefighters received mutliple calls from neighbors reporting the fire. Responding to reports that one person was trapped in the home, firefighters rescued an elderly woman from the back bedroom, according to the statement. At the scene, responders battled heavy fire conditions in the attached garage of the single family ranch home before …
Wednesday, July 25, 2012
A two-alarm fire on the roof of the furniture store closed Rockville Pike into Town Center at the height of Wednesday evening's rush hour.
A two-alarm fire Wednesday night at the Marlo Furniture at 725 Rockville Pike did significant damage to the store's roof and snarled traffic in Rockville Town Center at the height of the evening rush. Two firefighters were injured. The call for the fire came in at 6:15 p.m. County and Rockville City police closed Rockville Pike at Wootton Parkway, rerouting traffic around the northbound route into the city's downtown. An NBC4 helicopter captured video of the rooftop blaze. Two firefighters suffered heat-related non-life threatening injuries while putting out the blaze, said Assistant Chief Scott Graham of the county fire and rescue service. The store was evacuated, Graham said. No civilians were hurt. Firefighters extinguished the fire, …