Tuesday, January 22, 2013
An early afternoon gas leak caused the road closure and some business evacuations Tuesday, Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Services said.
Updated at 3:30 p.m. Tuesday: Arlington Road in Bethesda has reopened and nearby businesses are cleared for re-entry after a Tuesday afternoon gas leak forced Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Services to clear the area. MCFRS was dispatched around 12 p.m. to Arlington Road in Bethesda where a construction worker punctured a 2-inch gas line, according to MCFRS spokeswoman Beth Anne Nesselt. Several businesses were evacuated and Arlington Road was closed as fire rescue workers monitored gas levels near the old Bethesda Post Office, Patch reported. Washington Gas officials were called to the scene and crews completed repairs on the punctured line around 1:30 p.m., Nesselt said. Traffic was detoured around the area with Arlington Road closed …
Thursday, August 16, 2012
The victim is being sent to the Virginia side of the river for assessment and recovery.
Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service was dispatched Thursday afternoon to a water rescue near the Virginia side of the Potomac River. One person, who did not appear to be injured, was in the water around the observation deck below Great Falls, according to Captain Oscar Garcia, spokesperson for MCFRS. Garcia was unable to confirm gender or age of the victim. The individual was being transported to Virginia where MCFRS would do a physical assessment of the victim's condition and transport him or her to a hospital if needed, Garcia said. Authorities believe the victim slipped and fell into the water. According to Garcia, MCFRS response to Virginia-side Potomac River rescues are common due to the geography of the area. 9-1-1 calls are …
Tuesday, May 15, 2012
No injuries were reported in a house fire on Bells Mill Road Tuesday night.
Approximately 45 firefighters responded to a house fire on Bells Mill Road in Potomac Tuesday night. Shortly after 8 p.m. Tuesday Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Services responded to a house fire in a single family home at the 7700 block of Bells Mill Road. Rescue workers extinguished the bulk of the fire in 15 minutes, according to MCFRS spokesman Captain Oscar Garcia. Firefighters were initially told that an occupant may have been inside the home during the time of the fire, but he was later found to be at a neighbor's house. No injuries have been reported.
Tuesday, January 24, 2012
Contractor hit gas line near intersection of Falls Road and Falls Farm Drive.
Update, 5:11 p.m.: Falls Road has been re-opened, according to Montgomery County Police spokeswoman Sgt. Jennifer McNeal. Washington Gas stopped the leak at approximately 2:52 p.m. and MCFR cleared the area shortly after, Cpt. Oscar Garcia said, adding that there were no evacuations from the area. Update, 3:30 p.m.: Gas has been shut off at a leaking line near Falls Road and Falls Farm Drive, according to Cpt. Oscar Garcia of Montgomery County Fire and Rescue. Washington Gas is working to fix the pipe. Originial story, 2:20 p.m.: Montgomery County Fire and Rescue workers and a hazardous materials team are evaluating whether homes near the intersection of Falls Road and Falls Farm Drive should be evacuated after a contractor struck a gas …
Thursday, October 27, 2011
Sixty oxygen masks designed for animals were donated to the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service.
When Darnestown resident Lorie White's home caught fire last year, the first thing - or things - she sought to save were her animals. Luckily, with the help of the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service, White's dogs, cats, parrots and horses were evacuated from the flames unscathed. "You only have a split second," White said. "Things can be replaced, but you can never get over the loss of a family member - two-legged or four-legged." As a token of her gratitude, White decided to donate one oxygen kit designed especially for animals to Fire Station 31 - the first responders to her house fire. Eventually, that small gift blossomed into an even larger donation. Two area groups donated 60 animal oxygen masks to the Montgomery County Fire …